[Forum SIS] Nonparametric regression for directional data - M Di Marzio - Short course @ Uniclam

Giovanni Porzio porzio a eco.unicas.it
Mer 4 Feb 2015 10:21:43 CET

UNIVERSITY OF CASSINO AND SOUTHERN LAZIO
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS AND LAW

A two-days short course on:

"Nonparametric regression for directional data"

Marco Di Marzio
Dipartimento di Metodi Quantitativi e Teoria Economica
Università "G. d'Annunzio" Chieti-Pescara

Abstract:
Whenever we use a periodic scale to measure  observations, we collect
circular data, usually represented
as  points on  the circunference of the unit circle. The special nature
of circular data arises from the fact that the end and the beginning of
the measure scale coincide. Therefore, standard  methods of data
analysis are often not suited. We adapt the idea of local polynomial
regression to the circular setting. In particular, we treat the cases
when the predictor,  the response, or both of them are defined on a
torus or an hypersfere.

Main reference:
DI MARZIO Marco, PANZERA Agnese, TAYLOR Charles C. (2014) Nonparametric
Regression for Spherical Data, Journal of the American Statistical
Association, 109, 506, pp. 748-763.

Scheduling:

Monday 9 February 10:00-12:00 Room 0.04 Background material: Local
polynomial regression and directional data
Monday 9 February 14:00-15:00 Room 0.04 Floor discussion and question
time

Tuesday 10 February 10:00-12:00 Room 0.04 Core lecture: Local polynomial
regression for directional data
Tuesday 10 February 12:30-13:30 Room 2.02 Floor discussion and question
time

Where:
Deparment of Economics and Law
University of Cassino and Southern Lazio
Via Sant'Angelo - Loc. Folcara
I-03043 Cassino, Italy