[Forum SIS] Annuncio di seminario - DiSIA

Anna Gottard gottard a disia.unifi.it
Gio 10 Dic 2015 14:37:15 CET

DiSIA  (Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni “G. Parenti”)
Università di Firenze

- PROSSIMO SEMINARIO -

Mercoledì 16 Dicembre 2015 ore 14.00

Linda Valeri (Harvard School of Public Health) terrà il seguente seminario :

The role of stage at diagnosis in colorectal cancer racial/ethnic survival disparities: a causal inference perspective

Il seminario sara' tenuto presso l’aula 32 del DiSIA, Viale Morgagni n. 59 - 50134 Firenze.

Tutti gli interessati sono cordialmente invitati a partecipare.

ABSTRACT: Disparities in colorectal cancer survival and stage at diagnosis between White and Black patients are widely documented, whereby Black patients are more likely diagnosed at advanced stage and have poorer prognosis. Interest lies in understanding the importance of stage at diagnosis in explaining survival disparities. To this aim we propose to quantify the extent to which racial/ethnic survival disparities would be reduced if disparities in stage at diagnosis were eliminated. In particular, we develop a causal inference approach to assess the impact of a hypothetical shift in the distribution of stage at diagnosis in the black population to match that of the white population. We further develop sensitivity analysis techniques to assess the robustness of our results to the violation of the no-unmeasured confounding assumption and to selection bias due to stage at diagnosis missing not-at-random. Our results support the hypothesis that elimination of disparities in stage at diagnosis would contribute to the reduction in racial survival disparities in colorectal cancer. Important heterogeneities across the patients’ characteristics were observed and our approach easily accommodates for these features. This work illustrates how a causal inference perspective aids in identifying and formalising relevant hypotheses in health disparities research that can inform policy decisions.

Anna Gottard
Dipartimento di Statistica Informatica Applicazioni
Università di Firenze
V.le Morgagni 59, Firenze

gottard a disia.unifi.it <mailto:gottard a disia.unifi.it>
http://local.disia.unifi.it/gottard/ <http://local.disia.unifi.it/gottard/>