[Forum SIS] Seminario Silvia Maggi, IIT (RGS & Matematica Applicata)

Giacomo Aletti giacomo.aletti a unimi.it
Mar 16 Set 2014 10:39:43 CEST

Con preghiera di diffusione tra tutti i possibili interessati,
scusandomi per invii multipli.
Cordialmente,
Giacomo Aletti

--------------

Nell'ambito dei Reading Group Seminars e del Seminario di Matematica
Applicata, il giorno luned́ 22 Settembre 2014, alle ore 14.30,
nell'Aula C del Dipartimento di Matematica dell'Universita' degli
Studi di Milano, Via C. Saldini, 50, Milano,

Silvia MAGGI, IIT Genova

terra' una conferenza dal titolo

Integrative Analysis of Electrophysiological and Behavioral Data in
the After-hour Circadian Mouse Model

Abstract:

Physiological and behavioural changes can occur across different
timescales. Circadian rhythms include a series of oscillations with
approximately 24 hours periodicity and influence different functions
in different domains. We have investigated the sleep-wake cycle and
cognitive timing in the After-hours (Afh) mice, which carry a single
point mutation in the Fbxl3 gene resulting in a substantial
lengthening of the circadian period. The analysis of
electroencephalogram (EEG) and electromyogram (EMG) signals, recorded
under light-dark (LD) and dark-dark (DD) schedule revealed several
differences in the sleep structure and sleep homeostasis between
mutants and wild-type mice. Then, we investigated whether the
alteration of circadian clock and sleep affected the estimation of
short intervals and timing uncertainty in decision-making behavioral
tasks over 24 hours. Differences in the daily distribution of sleep
between Afh mutants and controls correlate with a reduced performance
in mutants, suggesting that the mutation augments the effects of sleep
inertia. A Generalized Linear model of our data provided a prediction
of how the circadian clock and sleep affect behavioral/cognitive
measures, uncovering novel dynamics between these two processes.

Reading Group Seminars:

The Reading Group Seminars (RGS) are organized within an open
community of researchers interested in applying mathematical
approaches to the study of biological systems. Updates on our
initiatives can be found at:
https://sites.google.com/site/readinggroupseminar as well as by
subscribing to our RGS group
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/neurocomp-rgs

--

Giacomo Aletti, Associate Professor

ADAMSS Centre (ex MIRIAM)
Advanced  Applied Mathematical  and Statistical Sciences

Department of Mathematics (www.mat.unimi.it)
Via Saldini, 50
20133 Milano, Italy
Tel: +39-02-503.16158