[Forum SIS] Seminario ROUSSEAU

Matteo Ruggiero matteo.ruggiero a unito.it
Ven 28 Mar 2014 10:50:23 CET

STATISTICS SEMINARS @ COLLEGIO CARLO ALBERTO

Venerdi' 4 Aprile 2014 alle ore 12:00,
presso la sala rossa del Collegio Carlo Alberto,
Moncalieri (TO), si terra' il seguente seminario:

Judith ROUSSEAU (Université Paris Dauphine)

BEHAVIOUR OF THE POSTERIOR DISTRIBUTION IN HMM MODELS WHEN THE NUMBER OF STATES IS MISSPECIFIED

Abstract:
In this paper we study the asymptotic behaviour of the posterior distribution for parametric HMM models with finite number of components. We concentrate in particular on the case where the number of states of the hidden Markov chain in the model is larger than the true number of states. In such cases the parameter is not identifiable. We study the impact of the prior on the transition matrix on the asymptotic behaviour of the posterior distribution. In particular that if some independent Dirichlet priors are considered on each row of the transition matrix we can identify different types of behaviour of the asymptotic posterior distribution depending on the choice of the parameter of the Dirichlet distributions. A link is made with static mixture models and some numerical study is conducted to illustrate the results and investigate the behaviour of the posterior in cases where no theoretical results are provided.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Il seminario e' organizzato dalla "de Castro" Statistics Initiative
(http://www.carloalberto.org/stats) in collaborazione con il
Collegio Carlo Alberto.

Cordiali saluti,
Matteo Ruggiero

---------
Matteo Ruggiero
University of Torino & Collegio Carlo Alberto
http://web.econ.unito.it/ruggiero