[Forum SIS] Avviso di Seminario - Modelli Grafici, D'Errico e Nicolussi

Dottorato dottorato.statistica a unimib.it
Ven 22 Nov 2013 11:36:07 CET

Nell'ambito del Dottorato in Statistica dell'Università degli Studi di
Milano-Bicocca,

è organizzato il seminario

*Introduction to Graph Theory and Graphical Models*

*Marco D'Errico* and Federica Nicolussi***

*  Dipartimento di Statistica e Metodi Quantitativi, Università degli
Studi di Milano-Bicocca
** Dipartimento di Sociologia e Ricerca Sociale, Università degli Studi
di Milano-Bicocca

in data 17 Dicembre 2013, dalle h12.00 alle h14.00, presso l'aula
seminari del dipartimento DEMM, secondo piano, Facoltà di Scienze
Politiche dell'Università degli Studi di Milano, via Conservatorio 7.

La partecipazione è gratuita, ma è gradita segnalazione di interesse per
motivi organizzativi.

Segue abstract.

In light of the growing literature on graphical models and complex
networks, graph theory has recently reemerged as one of the essential
analytical frameworks to model pairwise relationships between a set of
items (often referred to as 'nodes' or 'vertices') that are connected by
'links' (or 'edges'). One of the main applications of graph theory are
Graphical Models, i.e. probabilistic models where graphs are used to
indicate the conditional dependence relationship between random variables.

In the first part of this seminar, we will introduce some basic notions
and concepts in graph theory, with a particular emphasis on connectivity
and centrality measures, and on the underlying mathematical concepts. We
will then show some examples of real-world networks, where these
concepts are successfully applied. Lastly, we will introduce the
analytical background for Graphical Models.

The second part of the seminar will deal with an overview on different
types of Graphical Models, with special care to the problematic that
these models meet. Through examples we will explain how to represent
different kinds of relationships (unidirectional or bidirectional)
between variables involved in the model. Particular attention will be
reserved to the connection between the previous Graphical Models and the
Log-linear models (and their generalization).