[Forum SIS] Seminario POPPE

Matteo Ruggiero matteo.ruggiero a unito.it
Ven 17 Maggio 2013 10:04:03 CEST

STATISTICS SEMINARS  -  COLLEGIO CARLO ALBERTO

Venerdi' 24 Maggio 2013, alle ore 10:30, presso la sala rossa del
Collegio Carlo Alberto, Moncalieri (TO), si terra' il seguente seminario:

STEPHAN POPPE (University of Leipzig, Germany)

SPECIES SAMPLING PROCESSES: PREDICTING THE
UNPREDICTABLE AND ESTIMATING MEASURES OF DIVERSITY

Abstract:

The sampling of species problem relates to the issue of how to
infer the relative species abundances from finite data, when
many species occurring in the population are not present in the
sample. Although these abundances can be seen to be the
ultimate measure of the diversity in a population, there is also
some interest in estimating particular summarizing diversity
indexes such as  the Shannon index and the actual number of
occurring species in the population.
The invocation of finite-dimensional symmetrical Dirichlet priors
yields Bayesian statistical models which allow for a straight-forward
inference of these abundances in case of a prefixed space of
species, whereas their infinite-dimensional counterpart in form
of the Pitman-Yor-process allows predictions for the case of
previously unknown species.
The adoption of these models is usually mainly due to their
analytical simplicity and the conjugacy of the underlying priors,
but can also be justified from such predictive principles as
exchangeability and Johnson’s sufficientness postulate. Hence,
entertaining a dualistic point of view, i.e. looking at both the
statistical model and the associated prediction rules, we
potentially gain a better understanding of the inductive inference
procedures set up. This becomes in particular important as the
Dirichlet prior and the Pitman-Yor process do not lead to sensible
estimates of neither the Shannon index nor the number of
occurring species.
In my talk I will review several “classical” inductive characterizations
of prediction rules of  authors such as Johnson, Carnap, Hintikka,
Niiniluoto, Kuipers and Zabell. I will also show how the recently
introduced species sampling model of Gnedin and Pitman fits in
those inductive frameworks. If time permits, I will also shortly
demonstrate their utility in improving the estimation of diversity

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Il seminario e' organizzato dalla "de Castro" Statistics Initiative
(http://www.carloalberto.org/stats) in collaborazione con il
Collegio Carlo Alberto.
Il programma dei seminari puo' essere consultato alla pagina
http://www.carloalberto.org/events/seminars/statistics/

---------
Matteo Ruggiero
University of Torino & Collegio Carlo Alberto
http://web.econ.unito.it/ruggiero