[Forum SIS] Seminario FARCOMENI

Matteo Ruggiero matteo.ruggiero a unito.it
Ven 3 Maggio 2013 10:47:27 CEST

STATISTICS SEMINARS  -  COLLEGIO CARLO ALBERTO

Venerdi' 10 Maggio 2013, alle ore 12:00, presso la sala rossa del
Collegio Carlo Alberto, Moncalieri (TO), si terra' il seguente seminario:

ALESSIO FARCOMENI (Universita' di Roma - La Sapienza)

SEMIPARAMETRIC CAPTURE-RECAPTURE WITH HETEROGENEOUS CAPTURE PROBABILITIES

Abstract:
Capture-recapture experiments are commonly used to estimate the
size of a closed population. Link (2003) has underlined identifiability
problems when one wants to make inference with heterogeneous
capture probabilities in a semiparametric framework. If subject-specific
capture probabilities are random effects with no assumption on the
mixing distribution, the conditional likelihood is not identifiable.
Link (2003) invokes the equivalence of conditional and complete
likelihood (Sanathanan, 1972) to conclude that semiparametric
inference is not possible in recapture studies. We show (i) that a
regularity condition of Sanathanan (1972) is not met, and hence such
equivalence does not hold; (ii) that the complete likelihood is indeed
identifiable. Surprisingly enough, we also show that the MLE is
convergent but not consistent. We characterize the limiting value of
the MLE as a "sharpest estimable lower bound" and prove that the MLE
can never over estimate the true population size. In practice, the
complete likelihood parameter space includes all possible mixing
distributions with support on [0,1]. We use the theory of canonical
moments and a logistic transform to obtain a finite dimensional and
unconstrained parameter space. We then underline computational
and philosophical problems related to maximum likelihood estimation.
Consequently, we propose a Bayesian approach which is extended to
the most general model in recapture studies, where heterogeneous
detection probabilities are allowed also to depend on trapping occasion
and behavioural reactions to first capture. We derive the Jeffrey's prior
and illustrate the Bayesian and classical approaches with real
examples and simulations.

Joint work with Luca Tardella.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Il seminario e' organizzato dalla "de Castro" Statistics Initiative
(http://www.carloalberto.org/stats) in collaborazione con il
Collegio Carlo Alberto.
Il programma dei seminari puo' essere consultato alla pagina
http://www.carloalberto.org/events/seminars/statistics/

---------
Matteo Ruggiero
University of Torino & Collegio Carlo Alberto
http://web.econ.unito.it/ruggiero