[Forum SIS] Seminar

Simone Padoan simone.padoan a unibocconi.it
Mer 19 Giu 2013 12:32:57 CEST

Dear All,

We are glad to announce the following talk
Thursday, June 20, 2013, 12.30, Room 3-E4-SR03
Bocconi University, via Roentgen 1, Milan.

by Marc Genton, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology

Title:
"Functional Boxplots for Visualization of Complex Curve/Image Data: An Application to Precipitation and Climate Model Output"

Abstract:
In many statistical experiments, the observations are functions by nature, such as temporal curves or spatial surfaces/images, where the basic unit of information is the entire observed function rather than a string of numbers.
For example the temporal evolution of several cells, the intensity of medical images of the brain from MRI, the spatio-temporal records of precipitation in the U.S., or the output from climate models, are such complex data structures. Our interest lies in the visualization of such data and the detection of outliers. With this goal in mind, we have defined functional boxplots and surface boxplots based on the center outwards ordering induced by band depth for functional data or surface data. We illustrate the construction of a functional boxplot on a series of sea surface temperatures related to the El Nino phenomenon and its outlier detection performance is explored by simulations. As applications, the functional boxplot is demonstrated on spatio-temporal U.S. precipitation data for nine climatic regions and on climate general circulation model (GCM) output. Further adjustments of the functional boxplot for outlier detection in spatio-temporal data are discussed as well.
The talk is based on joint work with Ying Sun

Dr. Simone Padoan, PhD.
Assistant Professor

Department of Decision Sciences
Bocconi University of Milan
via Roentgen, 1 20136 Milano - Italy
tel. +39 02 5836 5368
Email: simone.padoan a unibocconi.it
Webpage: http://faculty.unibocconi.it/simonepadoan

---
Se credi nei giovani di talento, investi sul loro futuro.
Dai il tuo 5x1000 alla Bocconi  cf: 80024610158.
E' importante. E' per loro.
www.unibocconi.it/5x1000

Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals filing Italian income tax returns.
---