[20° Forum SIS] IYSM2014 - International Young Statisticians Meeting - first announcement

Young SIS youngsis.2013 a gmail.com
Lun 9 Dic 2013 13:22:27 CET

Apologize for Cross-posting

Dear all,

We are glad to announce the first International Young Statistician Meeting
(IYSM 2014), the y-SIS satellite event of the XLVII Scientific Meeting of
the Italian Statistical Society (SIS), to be held in Università di Cagliari
on June 13-14, 2014

IYSM 2014 is a fantastic opportunity to meet and relate with other young
statisticians in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The meeting is aimed at
early career statisticians, i.e. people who are willing or has just started
an academic career or who is carrying out a PhD/post-doc, as well as people
coming from public and private institutions working in any field where
statistics and its applications are required.

The meeting will include 2 tutorials, a round table with people from the
young/junior sections of International Statistical Societies, a session
discussing the PhD thesis awarded as “best PhD thesis” by the Italian
Statistical Society and social Events. A prize will be awarded to the best
poster submitted and presented at the SIS scientific meeting within the
young category. All the PhD and post-docs may attend this competition,
together with young researchers who are members of y-SIS (or any other
junior section of International Statistical Societies).

The tentative program is as follows:

Friday 13th

> 16.30-17.45: Discussion of the PhD thesis awarded with the SIS prize for
the Best PhD thesis 2012-2013” (the award ceremony will take place in a
dedicated session within the SIS conference).
> Dinner and social activities.

Saturday  14th

> 9.30-12.30: Tutorial I – "Bayesian Variable Selection: Past, Present and
Future" (given by prof. Ed George, Department of Statistics, The Wharton
School of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA)
> 12.30-14.00: Lunch and meeting of y-SIS partner meeting
> 14.00-17.00: Tutorial II – title TBA (given by dr. Francesco Stingo,
Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics, Division of Quantitative
Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX)
> 17.30-19.00: Round Table among young sections of European and
International Statistical Societies – title TBA
> 20.00: Concluding Dinner and Social activities

The registration (mandatory) will accepted up to *May 30th, 2014* (to be
confirmed).
Very convenient fees are available for people who will attend both the SIS
Conference and the IYSM2014.

All information on IYSM2014, including the sign-up link for the conference,
accommodations and fees, will be soon available on the conference website

http://meetings.sis-statistica.org/index.php/sm2013/sis2014

and on the official webpage of the y-SIS group, where you can already find
announcements and preliminary information

https://sites.google.com/site/youngsocietaitalianastatistica/events/sis-2014

If you have further requests or you need information, please do not
hesitate to contact us at youngsis.2013 a gmail.com

We look forward to seeing you all in Cagliari next June!

The ySIS officers
Francesca Ieva (chair)
Serena Arima
Antonio Canale