[Forum SIS] Politecnico di Milano - Seminario R. Soyer

anna.paganoni a polimi.it anna.paganoni a polimi.it
Gio 15 Nov 2012 15:43:25 CET

Si avvisa che in data 21-11-2012, alle ore 11:00 precise,
presso Aula Seminari F. Saleri VI Piano MOX -
Dipartimento di Matematica, Politecnico di Milano,
nell'ambito delle iniziative MOX si svolgerà il seguente seminario:

Speaker: Refik Soyer, The George Washington University

Title: Bayesian Methods for Assessment of Health Care Fraud

Abstract: Health care fraud costs a significant amount to the US
healthcare system. According to FBI the fraud cost to US is about $80
billion a year. Detection and prevention of fraud are of interest to
many parties including government, medical community and insurance
industry. Due to complexities involved in defining fraudulent behavior
and detecting fraud, the need for more sophisticated data mining tools
and statistical methods have been recognized in the health care
industry. As a result, methodologies such as neural networks, decision
trees, association rules, link analysis and genetic algorithms have
been used in for fraud detection. However, use of Bayesian methods has
been quite limited with the exception of some recent work using Bayes
networks.
In this talk we consider Bayesian methods for fraud detection. In so
doing, we focus on co-clustering models for analysis of dyadic data
connecting two entities such as providers and beneficiaries. These
models can be used to identify billing patterns of potentially
fraudulent providers who submit a large number of high-dollar claims
to insurance programs. An important issue pertinent to dyadic data is
to identify the cluster membership of each entity. We discuss how
Bayesian inference can be developed for assessment of cluster
memberships and illustrate what additional insights can be obtained
from Bayesian analysis of the dyadic data. We consider different forms
of dyadic data and estimation of cluster sizes and discuss potential
extensions such as dynamic cluster membership.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Anna Maria Paganoni

--
Anna Maria Paganoni
MOX - Dipartimento di Matematica