[Forum SIS] Avviso seminario - N. Dudley Ward - 20/07 - IMATI, Milano

Raffaele Argiento raffaele a mi.imati.cnr.it
Mer 18 Lug 2012 17:18:15 CEST

Venerdì 20 Luglio, alle ore 11.00 presso la sede di Milano dell'IMATI,
in via Bassini 15, aula Pentagonale.

Il Dott. Nick Dudley Ward (Otago Computational Modelling Group Ltd, New Zealand)
terrà il seminario dal Titolo: "Earthquakes, liquefaction and Christchurch's
artesian aquifers"

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Abstract:  Since the Mw 7.1 Darfield (Canterbury) earthquake on
4 September 2010, 4.35 a.m. (local time), Christchurch and its environs
have experienced an intense sequence of earthquakes and aftershocks.
Most devastating was the Mw 6.2 Christchurch earthquake on
22 February 2011 at 12.51 p.m. which resulted in significant destruction and
damage, injuries and 185 deaths. Of similar magnitude we mention the
Mw 6.0 aftershock on 13 June 2011 at 2.20 p.m. and its Mw 5.6 precursor
at 1 p.m. which further damaged or destroyed structures already damaged
from previous earthquakes, ruptured infrastructure and caused power outages.

The aim of this talk is twofold.  First we present an analysis of groundwater
level responses to the main destructive Canterbury/Christchurch earthquakes.
The local environmental authority has a distributed network of 257 monitoring
wells in the Canterbury region, of which 161 contain relevant data collected
at 15 minute intervals.  We quantify groundwater responses with a simple model
which differentiates between short-term earthquake induced responses (spike)
and longer-term change (offset). The most significant feature of our
analysis is the consistent pattern of groundwater response to the
earthquakes for wells in the coastal confined (artesian) aquifers: deeper
wells correlate with negative offset and shallower wells correlate
with positive offset.
This is consistent with the upwards vertical movement  of water
(on the time scale of a  seismic shock). We consider the hydrological
and engineering consequences.

Second we consider some inverse problems for groundwater. For clarity we
focus on a classical problem of groundwater engineering, viz. that of
determining aquifer parameters from pumping test data.  We consider a
model with spatially distributed parameters.  Using a (proper) prior model
of Kaipio and Somersalo and an adaptive MCMC algorithm of Cui we quantify
parameter uncertainty.

--
Raffaele Argiento