[Forum SIS] avviso di Seminario Prof. Bartolucci

Julia Mortera mortera a uniroma3.it
Mer 25 Gen 2012 18:23:08 CET

A tutti gli interessati, si porta a conoscenza del* SEMINARIO*
organizzato nell'ambito del dottorato di Metodi statistici per
l'economia e l'impresa (MSEI)

* *

*Francesco Bartolucci, Università degli Studi di Perugia*

Latent variable models for longitudinal data

*MERCOLEDÌ 01 FEBBRAIO 2012, ORE 14,30 – Aula 24- 3° piano *

* *

*Dipartimento di Economia Università degli Studi Roma Tre* - *Via Silvio
D’Amico 77, 00145 Roma*

* *

* *

*Abstract*

*I briefly review two approaches for the analysis of longitudinal
data,which are based on a common root: using a sequence of latent
variables to model the unobserved heterogeneity between sample units.
The first*

*approach is based on assuming that the latent variables are
discrete-valued and then the resulting latent process follows a Markov
chain. The second approach is based on assuming, instead, a latent
AR(1)process. After a brief discussion of the pros and cons of the two
approaches, I propose a third approach based on assuming that the latent
process follows a mixture of AR(1) models. The advantage is an
improvement in the fit (close to that reachable by a latent Markov
model), while retaining a parsimonious structure (close to that of the
latent AR(1) model). For the latent mixture AR(1) model based on the
proposed approach, I illustrate how to perform maximum likelihood
estimation by an Expectation-Maximization algorithm implemented by
well-known recursions in the hidden Markov literature. The use of the
model is illustrated by an application involving a longitudinal dataset
coming from the Health and Retirement Study, about the self-reported
health status by a sample of subjects aged 50 and over.*

--
Julia Mortera
Dipartimento di Economia