[Forum SIS] Seminario ARLOTTO

Matteo Ruggiero matteo.ruggiero a unito.it
Gio 16 Feb 2012 19:30:23 CET

CICLO DI SEMINARI - COLLEGIO CARLO ALBERTO

Si comunica che alle ore 15.00 di Giovedi' 23 Febbraio 2012,
presso la Sala Rossa del Collegio Carlo Alberto,
via Real Collegio 30, 10024, Moncalieri, Torino,
si terra' il seguente seminario:

ALESSANDRO ARLOTTO (University of Pennsylvania)

OPTIMAL HIRING AND RETENTION POLICIES FOR HETEROGENEOUS WORKERS WHO LEARN

Abstract:
On-the-job learning is an important element of the operations
of call-centers, manufacturing and other activities, especially
when there may be high turnover of employees or of new
technologies and processes. Workers may have diverse
capabilities that change through time, and different policies
for monitoring and hiring will influence the long-run performance
of a firm. In this paper, we study the hiring and retention
of heterogeneous workers who learn over time. We formulate
the problem as an infinite-armed bandit and characterize the
optimal hiring and retention policy in detail. We develop
approximations that allow the efficient implementation of the
optimal policy and the evaluation of its performance. Our
numerical examples demonstrate under different scenarios that
the value of an active monitoring and screening of employees
can be substantial.

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

---------
Matteo Ruggiero
University of Turin & Collegio Carlo Alberto
http://web.econ.unito.it/ruggiero