[Forum SIS] Seminario Prof. Jelle Goeman

Marco Perone Pacifico marco.peronepacifico a uniroma1.it
Ven 13 Maggio 2011 16:50:01 CEST

Segnalo il seguente seminario presso il Dipartimento di Scienze
Statistiche della Sapienza Universita' di Roma:

SPEAKER: Prof. Jelle Goeman (Leiden University Medical Center)

TITOLO: Cherry-picking: Multiple Testing for Exploratory Research

DATA: 23 maggio 2011 ore 16:00

LUOGO: Aula 34 del Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche

ABSTRACT: Motivated by the practice of exploratory research, we
formulate an approach to multiple testing that reverses the
conventional roles of the user and the multiple testing procedure.
Traditionally, the user chooses the error criterion, and the procedure
the resulting rejected set. Instead, we propose to let the user choose
the rejected set freely, and to let the multiple testing procedure
return a confidence statement on the number of false rejections
incurred. In our approach, such confidence statements are simultaneous
for all choices of the rejected set, so that post hoc selection of the
rejected set does not compromise their validity. The proposed reversal
of roles requires nothing more than a review of the familiar closed
testing procedure, but with a focus on the non-consonant rejections
that this procedure makes. We suggest several shortcuts to avoid the
computational problems associated with closed testing.

Marco Perone Pacifico
Professore Associato di Statistica

DIPARTIMENTO DI SCIENZE STATISTICHE
SAPIENZA