[Forum SIS] Bocconi DEC Seminar: Giuseppe Cavaliere - October 14th

Anna Simoni anna.simoni a unibocconi.it
Dom 10 Ott 2010 07:55:58 CEST

Dear colleagues,

The Department of Decision Sciences (DEC) of Bocconi University is pleased to invite you to the seminar:

DEC Seminar
Università Bocconi,
Room 3-E4-SR03
Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor
Time: 12:30pm

The DEC seminar schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

Thursday, October 14th

Giuseppe Cavaliere
( University of Bologna, Department of Statistical Sciences )

"Bootstrap Sequential Determination of the Co-integration Rank in VAR Models"

Abstract :

Determining the co-integrating rank of a system of variables has become a fundamental aspect of applied research in macroeconomics and finance. It is wellknown that standard asymptotic likelihood ratio tests for co-integration rank of Johansen (1996) can be unreliable in small samples with empirical rejection frequencies often very much in excess of the nominal level. As a consequence, bootstrap versions of these tests have been developed. To be useful, however, sequential procedures for determining the co-integrating rank based on these bootstrap tests need to be consistent, in the sense that the probability of selecting a rank smaller than (equal to) the true co-integrating rank will converge to zero (one minus the marginal significance level), as the sample size diverges, for general I(1) processes. No such likelihood-based procedure is currently known to be available. In this paper we fill this gap in the literature by proposing a bootstrap sequential algorithm which we demonstrate delivers consistent cointegration rank estimation for general I(1) processes. Finite sample Monte Carlo simulations show the proposed procedure performs well in practice.

bootstrap; wild bootstrap.
J.E.L. Classifications: C30, C32.

Sincerely,
Anna Simoni