[Forum SIS] Bocconi DEC Seminar: Peter Orbanz - October 7th

Anna Simoni anna.simoni a unibocconi.it
Mar 5 Ott 2010 09:08:03 CEST

Dear colleagues,

The Department of Decision Sciences (DEC) of Bocconi University is pleased to invite you to the seminar:
DEC Seminar
Università Bocconi,
Room 3-E4-SR03
Via Rontgen 1 - 3rd floor
Time: 12:30pm

The DEC seminar schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

Thursday, October 7th

Peter Orbanz
( University of Cambridge )

"Conjugate Projective Limits"

Abstract :

Bayesian nonparametric models can be regarded as Bayesian models on infinite-dimensional
spaces. These infinite-dimensional distributions can be constructed from finite-dimensional
ones using the projective limit approach familiar from stochastic process theory. I will
discuss how this approach can be generalized from probability measures to conditional
probabilities. The generalization results in a projective limit calculus applicable
to the construction and representation of virtually any nonparametric Bayesian model.
Intuitively, rather than constructing a stochastic process from finite-dimensional
probability measures, we construct a nonparametric Bayesian model from finite-dimensional
Bayes equations. Specific properties of the finite-dimensional models -- such as posterior
updates, sufficient statistics and posterior conjugacy -- carry over to the infinite-dimensional
case. I intend to sketch a few construction examples and, time permitting, will discuss
in how far the constructions are generic and what mathematical complications we have to expect.

Sincerely,
Anna Simoni

Anna Simoni
Assistant Professor