[Forum SIS] Bocconi DEC Seminar: Peter Green - May 20th

Anna Simoni anna.simoni a unibocconi.it
Mer 12 Maggio 2010 10:08:02 CEST

Dear colleagues,

The Department of Decision Sciences (DEC) of Bocconi University is pleased to invite you to the seminar:

DEC Seminar
Università Bocconi,
Room 3-E4-SR03
Via Roentgen 1 - 3rd floor
Time: 12:30pm

The DEC seminar schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

Thursday, May 20th

Peter Green
(Department of Mathematics, University of Bristol)

"Colouring and breaking sticks, pairwise coincidence losses, and clustering expression profiles "

Abstract:

We consider methodology for Bayesian model-based clustering of gene
expression profiles, that is, measurements of expression levels of a
large number of genes, typically from microarray assays, across a number
of different experimental conditions and/or biological subjects. We
follow a familiar approach using Dirichlet-process-based models to
cluster the genes implicitly, but depart from standard practice in
several ways. First, we incorporate regression on covariate information
at the condition/subject level by modelling regression coefficients, not
the expectations of the data directly. More importantly, we replace the
Dirichlet process by one of a richer family of models, generated from a
stick-colouring-and-breaking construction, under which cluster
identities are not exchangeable: this allows modelling a 'background'
cluster, for example. Finally, we follow a formal decision-theoretic
approach to point estimation of the clustering, using a pairwise
coincidence loss function. This is joint work with John Lau.

Sincerely,
Anna Simoni -----------------------------
Anna Simoni

Assistant Professor
Department of Decision Sciences
Università Bocconi
via Roentgen, 1
20136 Milano - Italy

Email:anna.simoni a unibocconi.it
Webpage: http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/annasimoni/

---
Il messaggio che segue e' inserito automaticamente dal server di posta
dell'Universita' Bocconi.

Il 5 per mille per gli studenti meritevoli della Bocconi.
E' un atto volontario, non costa nulla e non sostituisce l'8 per mille.
Scegli Bocconi: codice fiscale 80024610158.

Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals
filing Italian income tax returns.
---