[Forum SIS] Bocconi DEC Seminar: R. Ramamoorthi - May 10th

anna.simoni a unibocconi.it anna.simoni a unibocconi.it
Gio 6 Maggio 2010 15:20:44 CEST

Dear colleagues,

The Department of Decision Sciences (DEC) of Bocconi University is pleased to invite you to the seminar:

DEC Seminar
Università Bocconi,
Room 33
Via Sarfatti 25 - 3rd floor
Time: 12:30pm

The DEC seminar schedule is available at http://www.unibocconi.eu/statseminar

Monday, May 10th

Ramanathapuram Ramamoorthi
(Michigan State University)

"On a Characterization of Dirichlet Distribution "

Abstract:

Let Z = (X, Y ) be a random variable taking values in a finite set
I×J. For any distribution P on I×J, let P(•) be the marginal distribution of X
and let P•|i be the conditional distribution of Y given X = i. Define Q(•),Q•|j
be the marginal and conditional distribution of Y and X given Y = j. Geiger
and Heckerman[The Annals of Statistics, Vol. 25, No. 3. (Jun., 1997), pp.
1344-1369.] showed that if a prior II for the distribution of Z, satisfies, under II,
(1) P(•) is independent of {P•|i : i Є I} and
(2) {P•|j Є j 2 J} are independent among themselves
(3) a similar statement holds for Q•,Q•|j
then II is a Dirichlet distribution.
We provide a simpler proof of the above characterization. Then we indicate
an extension of the result to general Dirichlet process and also examine the
distribution of the conditional distribution P|X for a general Dirichlet process.
This is joint work with Laura Sangalli.

Sincerely,
Anna Simoni

-- ---------------------------
Anna Simoni

Assistant Professor
Department of Decision Sciences
Università Bocconi
via Roentgen, 1
20136 Milano - Italy

Email:anna.simoni a unibocconi.it
Webpage: http://faculty.unibocconi.eu/annasimoni/

---
Il messaggio che segue e' inserito automaticamente dal server di posta
dell'Universita' Bocconi.

Il 5 per mille per gli studenti meritevoli della Bocconi.
E' un atto volontario, non costa nulla e non sostituisce l'8 per mille.
Scegli Bocconi: codice fiscale 80024610158.

Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals
filing Italian income tax returns.
---