[Forum SIS] Riccardo Faini CEIS Seminar

Roberto Rocci roberto.rocci a uniroma2.it
Mer 10 Mar 2010 20:55:25 CET

CEIS-Tor Vergata is pleased to inform you that, on *Friday March **12**,
2010 at 2.30* pm, *prof.**ssa Fabrizia MEALLI** (**University of
Florence**)* will present a paper on “*/Evaluating the effect of
training on wages in the presence of noncompliance and missing outcome
data <http://www.ceistorvergata.it/area.asp?a=403&oc=499&d=271>/*”.

The Seminar will be held at the Faculty of Economics, University of Rome
"Tor Vergata", room C, 2° floor.

Please, go to www.ceistorvergata.it <http://www.ceistorvergata.it> for
the complete list of seminars.

/ABSTRACT/

/(joint work with P. Frumento, B. Pacini, D.B. Rubin)/

/The effects of a training program on employment and wages are
evaluated, using data from a randomized study, the National Job Corps
Study, and the principal stratification approach to simultaneously
address the complications of noncompliance, truncation of wages by
nonemployment, and missing outcomes. We conduct a likelihood-based
analysis using the theory of finite mixture models for identifiability
and exploiting the EM algorithm. We maintain an exclusion restriction
assumption on the outcomes but do not impose monotonicity of the
truncation of wages. Monotonicity of compliance holds by design. We
assess the robustness of our results by providing estimates under the
Missing at Random assumption, as well as other nonignorable missing data
mechanisms. The plausibility of meaningful restrictions is investigates
by means of scaled log-likelihood ratio statistics. For compliers,
results show that the effect on employment is generally positive;
however, there is a subgroup of complying participants for whom the
program is detrimental on employment in the short term, although this
effect becomes negligible in the long term. For the subgroup of
always-employed compliers, that is, those who would be employed whether
trained or not, the effect of training on wages is positive in the short
and medium term, while it becomes negligible in the long run./

Barbara Piazzi
CEIS-Tor Vergata
Facoltà di Economia
Università di Roma Tor Vergata