[Forum SIS] Bocconi TWO-DAY Seminar Bozdogan - September 14th/15th

Marco Bonetti marco.bonetti a unibocconi.it
Mar 8 Set 2009 12:23:59 CEST

The DEC Department is pleased to invite You to the seminar:

"A new modern approach to statistical data mining using information
complexity and the genetic algorithm"

held by:

Hamparsum Bozdogan
(The University of Tennessee, USA)

Monday 14th September 2009 (h. 2.30 pm) Room N31
Tuesday 15th September 2009 (h. 9.30 am) Room N30
Piazza Sraffa 13 - 20136 Milano

Abstract:

In the information age we live in today, with increasingly
sophisticated technology for gathering and storing data, many
organizations and businesses collect massive amounts of data at
accelerated rates and in ever-increasing detail. Massive data sets
pose a great challenge to many cross-disciplinary fields. Such data
sets have large number of dimensions and often have huge numbers of
observations. They are categorical, discrete, quantitative, and often
are mixed-data types. This high dimensionality and different data
types and structures have now outstripped the capability of
traditional statistical methods, data analysis, graphical and data
visualization tools.
Researchers, practitioners, and Ph.D. students at all levels need new
and modern highly clever model selection tools as a key tool  embedded
into fast and efficient algorithms to reduce dimensionality and to
choose best subset of variables in regression, classification, and
cluster analysis to mention a few.
To address these challenges, this workshop seminar will present a new
statistical model selection tools to analyze potentially massive data
sets with the goal of identifying a parsimonious model structure to
fit to the data.

To this end, during the first day of the seminar, we will present:
• A Short Overview of Data Mining & Statistical Methodology During the
Last Five Years
• The General Theory and Applications of a New Information Complexity
(ICOMP) Class Criteria for Model Selection
• Simultaneous Model Selection in Multivariate Mixture Model Cluster
Analysis Using Information Complexity and the Genetic Algorithm: M3

During the second day of the seminar we will present:
• New Advances in Regression Model Selection Using Information
Complexity and the Genetic Algorithm
• Lab Applications of Model Selection

===

You are all invited.