[Forum SIS] ANNUNCIO SEMINARIO: PROF. G. CHRISTAKOS

Orietta Nicolis orietta.nicolis a unibg.it
Dom 5 Lug 2009 00:37:10 CEST

ANNUNCIO SEMINARIO PROF. G. CHRISTAKOS

Lunedi 13 Luglio 2009, ore 15.00
presso il Dipartimento Ingegneria dell'informazione e metodi matematici,
Facoltą di Ingegneria, Universitą di Bergamo,
Viale Marconi, 5, 24044 Dalmine (BG)

Prof. GEORGE CHRISTAKOS

Distinguished Professor - S.M. Birch Endowed Chair
Environmental Health & Medical Geography Group
Department of Geography, San Diego State University

terrą un seminario dal titolo:

"Epibraimatics and Spatio-Temporal Statistics:
Seeking Synthesizing Thinkers of Large Scope"

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare

Cordiali saluti

Orietta Nicolis

Orietta Nicolis
Dept. of Information Technology and Mathematical Methods
University of Bergamo,
Via Marconi 5,   24044 Dalmine BG I,   Italy
Office:  tel.  +39 035 2052 363,   fax. +39 035 562 779
mailto: orietta.nicolis at unibg.it, homepage:
http://dinamico.unibg.it/nicolis/default.htm
Skype: orietta.nicolis

Abstract.
In this talk I will review Bayesian methods for variable
selection that use spike and slab priors. Specific interest
will be towards high-dimensional data. Linear and nonlinear
models will be considered, with continuous, categorical and
survival responses.  Applications will be to genomics data
from DNA microarray studies. The analysis of the
high-dimensional data generated by such studies often challenges
standard statistical methods. Models and algorithms are quite
flexible and allow us to incorporate additional information,
such as data substructure and/or knowledge on gene functions
and on relationships among genes.

Cordiali saluti

M. Giovanna Ranalli

~ Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
~ Sezione di Statistica
~ Via Pascoli
~ 06123 Perugia - Italy

~ Tel +39 075 5855939