Fwd: : Gnedenko Meeting.

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:37:47 +1200 (NZST)
From: David Vere-Jones <David.Vere-Jones@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
To: Maria-Gabriella Ottaviani <Mariagabriella.Ottaviani@uniroma1.it>
Subject: RE: Gnedenko Meeting.

Heading:  Education and History Session at the Gnedenko Anniversary
Meeting, Kiev, June 3-7 2002

This meeting is being held to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the
birth of Boris Vladimirovich Gnedenko, the outstanding probabilist,
writer, and teacher who died a few years ago. Details about the Meeting
can be found on the Website http://ln.com.ua/~tbimc/gnedenko.

Teaching and education were central aspects of Gnedenko's life and work,
reflected in his lectures, his textbooks and
other educational writings, and his constant concern for the personal and
mathematical development of his students. Reflecting this interest, one
session of the Conference
will be devoted to education and history issues. As a former student of
Gnedenko's, I have been asked to co-chair this session, and would
especially like to bring the Meeting to the attention of members of IASE.
Contributions with an educational theme, whether at school or tertiary
level, would be welcome, the more so if they can reflect some facet of
Gnedenko's interests.  At the same time, I hope that the Meeting may
provide an opportunity to stimulate interest in IASE activities among
teachers and academic staff in countries of Eastern Europe, where
Gnedenko did much to help restore programmes in probability amnd
statistics in
the period following the second World War. Please feel free to contact me
(david.vere-jones@vuw.ac.nz) if you would like to discuss any of these
issues further.

           David Vere-Jones.