ICME 9 - WGA 11 Mathematics Education and Technology

>Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:52:45 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: Rolf Biehler <rolf.biehler@uni-bielefeld.de>
>Subject: ICME 9 - WGA 11 Mathematics Education and Technology
>Sender: owner-stated_list@goliat.ugr.es
>To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>

>Dear colleagues,
>
>I should like to draw your attention to a Working Group on "The Use of
>Technology in Mathematics Education (Computers, Calculators, IT Media)" at
>the International Congress on Mathematics Education (ICME 9) in Japan,
>August 2000. The Working Group will organize its work in various subgroups,
>and if there is enough interest I think we will be able to create a
>subgroup on the use of technology in probability and statistics education.
>
>I am enclosing a call for contributions below. If you are interested to
>contribute, please let me know.
>
>Rolf Biehler

>		ICME-9
>International Congress on Mathematics Education
>
>Tokyo/Makuhari, Japan
>July 31 - August 6, 2000
>
>Working Group for Action No. 11
>
>The Use of Technology in Mathematics Education
>(Computers, Calculators, IT Media)
>
>CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
>
>The International Program Committee (IPC) for ICME-9 has established WGA11
>and invited us, Rolf Biehler of Germany and Barry Kissane of Australia, to
>serve as Co-Chief Organizers of this Working Group. This is a call for
>those interested in the relevant aspects of the use of technology in
>mathematics education to contact us with a view to contributing to the
>activities of the WGA.
>
>The WGA will cover a wide territory, so that we intend to form special
>interest groups when the needs, interests and possible contributions of
>those attending are clearer to us. In particular, we expect the WGA to
>cover a range of levels of education (primary (elementary), secondary
>(high), post-secondary, teacher education), to involve various kinds of
>technology (calculators, computers, telecommunications, WWW and multimedia)
>and to focus attention on various aspects of mathematics itself (number,
>space, algebra, statistics, probability, calculus, modelling, etc).
>
>Please contact us if you would like to make a contribution to the work of
>the WGA. We would like to know what kind of contribution you could offer
>(such as a report on a project, reflections on present and future
>developments, identification of curriculum development issues, principles
>of instructional design, in-depth empirical studies, etc.) Please also
>identify the level(s) of education, the kinds of technology and the
>mathematical aspects of your possible contribution. A short abstract of up
>to twenty lines would be helpful. However, you could also express your
>interest in the WGA and leave it open whether you will make a contribution.
>
>We would also be interested in your advice on aspects of technology which
> [...]
Maria-Gabriella Ottaviani     ottavian@pow2.sta.uniroma1.it
President, International Association for Statistical Education
Dip. di Statistica, Probabilita' e Statistiche Applicate
Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza"
P.le A. Moro, 5 - 00185 Roma
Tel. (+39)-06-49 91 05 61      Fax (+39)-06-49 59 241