No Subject

CON PREGHIERA DI DIFFUSIONE

                                 AVVISO SEMINARI

                   Il Prof J.O. Berger, Purdue University, terra',
               presso il Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilita'
           e Statistiche Applicate, Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza",
      Piazza Aldo Moro 5, due seminari, secondo il seguente calendario:

 Lunedi 20 maggio ore 11, Aula 30

       "On the Choice of Hyperpriors in Normal Hierarchical Models"

 Lunedi 27 maggio ore 11, Aula 30

       "Recent Developments in  Bayesian Model Selection"

 Tutti gli invitati sono invitati a partecipare.

					(Brunero Liseo)

                            RIASSUNTI

     On the Choice of Hyperpriors in Normal Hierarchical Models

				 Abstract
   Hierarchical modelling is wonderful and here to stay, but we usually
   "cheat" in choosing the prior distributions for hyperparameters.
   By "cheating" I mean that we usually choose hyperparameter priors in
   a casual fashion, often feeling that the choice is not too important.
   Unfortunately, as the number of hyperparameters grows, the effects
   of casual choices can multiply, leading to considerably inferio
   r performance. As an extreme but not uncommon example, use of the
   wrong hyperparameter priors can even lead to impropriety of
   the posterior. Finding a solution to this problem is, unfortunately,
   difficult; indeed, it is not even clear how to attack the problem.
   In this talk we simply give some illustrations of the problem, and
   some "solutions" in special cases. Among the topics to be discussed
   along the way are reference priors for covariance matrices,
   and propriety and admissibility of priors in exchangeable
   hierarchical normal models.

	     Recent Developments in Bayesian Model Selection

			       Abstract
   There have been rapid advances in default Bayesian model selection
   and hypothesis testing in recent years, due to the development of
   the "intrinsic Bayes factor" and "fractional Bayes factor" approaches.
   This talk will cover some of this recent work, including discussion of
   the "median intrinsic Bayes factor", an especially simple and almost
   universally applicable method; discussion of situations in which certain
   default Bayes factors fail; and simplifications that can result when
   the models being considered have suitable invariance structures.